I have decided to create a new graphic design based on a raster image I created on the iPad using an app called Procreate a while back. The original image was altered a bit via filters or using the liquify effect within Procreate. Thus, it was a challenge to trace it into Illustrator and make a working image out of it.
Here was the original image I created before inserting it into Illustrator and tracing it:
Below are some of the image that came before it as I was working on the concept:
As you see it turned out pretty interesting. However, again I was up to the challenge to try creating a vector robot out of it. The difficult part was separating the lightning around the robot's head from his body. I had to use the pen tool to create an outline around the robot, then use a low opacity so some of the background remained visible. I also had to recreate the propeller dust basically out of scratch.
Here is the sequence of how some of the images turned out in sequence as the work progressed (from the best graphical images or latest ones to early versions):
You may notice looking at the four images and their progression that when first traced into Illustrator, the robot merged with the lightning or tentacle like strokes. I mentioned, how I used the pen tool to create a layer around the robot, as a mask of sorts and make it white with an opacity where much of the background still shows through.
However, you may or may not have also noticed a slightly less obvious change. I used the pen and quick select tools to change the robot arms and make them more realistic and aligned to one another within the body. besides this change, you may also have noticed I changed the propeller dust trajectory on the lower left propeller, to reflect the fact the robot is tilting or shifting right. Finally, I added some foreground blocks of a grid peeling away from the background layer.
I also inserted the image as a jpeg file, thus bitmap, into Procreate for iPad to create a different variation:
All of these designs were pretty much an experiment in trying to trace a complex image into Illustrator that was drawn on the iPad using Procreate. In the future, I may do the same, but with more simple or less finalized designs that I can keep working on using Illustrator.
I also have SVG and PDF files of most of these designs and have saved a wide range of versions of the robot. The concept is interesting and one I will come back to due to the variety of robots possible. New robotic designs and scenes can be as numerous as one's imagination allows.